Search Engine Optimization or SEO involves a number of tactics, procedures and practices which are aimed at boosting your site’s position in search engines ranking. SEO practices can be categorized in to On-page SEO, which involves controlling things on your website like keyword density, site structure, usability and speed. Off-page SEO on the other hand involves activities on other websites which can impact your ranking like backlinks and Facebook like count.
In modern digital market, SEO stands as the most cost effective marketing strategy and a great way to drive quality traffic to your website, which can be easily converted to sales. Ranking top in search engine results increase your chance of getting more clicks and traffic simply because users trust search engines to determine the best source of whatever they are looking for. It requires design and implementation of the right SEO plans. One of the most effect SEO tactics is proper keyword management. Keyword management tasks include On-page keyword analysis, keyword targeting and competitive keyword analysis. Some tools such as are used to examine your
Understanding Keyword Management
Keyword management is an all-round tactic that focuses on identification, analysis, grouping and organization of keywords to optimize your SEO and PPC campaigns. There are many keyword research and analytic tools and programs ranging from Google Analytic, SEOmoz, Ad Words, SerpBook and Web CEO among many others used by digital marketers to achieve the best keyword management results. The main keyword management steps are:
- Identifying the right keywords – Determining the phrases that consumers are searching to find your site.
- Keyword research – Analysing new keyword opportunities and deciding on the most productive keywords.
- Organizing your keywords – Grouping of keywords depending on their relevance.
- Taking the right action – Involves developing of content using your most productive and relevant keywords.
Five Keyword Management Tips that will Work for you in 2018
After mastering SEO basics, here are top five tips to guide through effective keyword management:
- Make Your Website And Business Objectives Clear – Come up with a base list of keywords to start with based on the intentions of your business. This mean crafting your keywords carefully to target search phrases that users are likely to search when looking for your products or services. For instance, for an e-commerce site you can add words such as ‘buy’ together with industry-based phrases or add words like ‘how to’, ‘ways to’ or ‘guidelines for’ if your goal is to provide educative or advise services. Specifying your business intentions within the keywords gives you an upper hand over your competitors using basic keywords helping you to rank higher on SERP.
- Select The Right Number Of Keywords – Using a single keyword phrase will only target a single search query. Web surfers are different and will always use different wording even when they are looking for the same thing. Once you have developed a list of keyword phrases, it is time to come up with variations of the keywords that your audience are likely to search. Targeting various search phrases increases the audience size for your website. You can choose to start with 2-3 keywords and add more as your traffic and rank improves.
- Balance Your Keyword Density – Keyword density is the occurrence of a given keyword on your webpage or content. Over using a specific keyword may be harmful for your SEO campaign as this can be flagged as spam and will be penalized. At the same time, a low keyword density may not achieve the desired results. You can use content analytic tools to assess your keyword density balance.
- Localize Your Keywords– If your target is the local searchers or given region, it is important to add location indicators such as town, city, region or country in the keyword phrases. For example you could use ‘affordable baby cots London’ for your London based baby cot business. This will increase your website ranking for local searches and in turn increase both your site traffic and physical visit to your store.
- Practice On Going Rank Assessment And Adjustment– Search engines are constantly updating the ranking algorithms to provide users with the most relevant and useful results. It is important to update yourself on any new rules or trends so us to make the right adjustments. Continuous keyword rank monitoring helps you know which of your keywords are performing well and which ones are not to make the right changes on your website. Choose the right rank assessment tools analyse your performance and make improvements. Some useful tools include; Google Analytics, Moz, SharedCount, SEMRush and SerpBook among others.
If you are just starting a new business or have been struggling with SEO for long, it is time to strategize and implement your keyword management the right way.