Bluetooth is a wireless device that allows you to connect with nearby devices that also have Bluetooth and aids in transferring of files and sharing of data.
It also helps you to remove clutter from your desktop.
By using Bluetooth you will be able to add a mouse and keyboard to your tablet without using or needing a USB Port.
Most of the laptops, PCs, phones and other devices usually come with an inbuilt Bluetooth device but just in case you have a device that does not have it, you can easily add it.
An advantage of having Bluetooth in your computer is that you do not have to connect an aux cable to Bluetooth speakers, you are able to transfer, share data and still move around with your tablet due to the wireless connection.
Before adding Bluetooth to your computer first do a check to ensure that your device doesn’t already have Bluetooth.
- Go to the control panel
- Go to network and internet
- Go to network connections
- If you have Bluetooth you will see the symbol of Bluetooth network connections alongside Wi-Fi and options.
- Go to start menu
- Search for device manager in the search options
- In device manager look for the Bluetooth symbol
- You will be able to see if the device has Bluetooth
- Go to the apple sign on the left hand corner of your desktop
- Open about this Mac
- Click the more info button; This will open a new window showing all the hardware networks available
- Open the hardware category and look for the Bluetooth icon
- You will be able to find Bluetooth in the hardware menu that contains the internet and wireless icons too.
If you find out that your device does not have Bluetooth, here are steps on how to add Bluetooth.
If you have the new windows it is easy to get Bluetooth device on your phone. Use the Driver Talent app which was also known as the DriveTheLife which is useful to download or upgrade Bluetooth driver.
This option requires you to buy the things needed in order to add Bluetooth device to your computer.
- You will first have to ensure that you have a free USB port. If you do not have one and you cannot make space for an extra port then you will have to get a USB hub or an expansion USB card.
- Once you have a free USB port you will need to have a Bluetooth USB adapter.
- Purchase all the requirements and install or have a professional install the Bluetooth device to your computer
- It is still less expensive that buying a new machine
Install the Bluetooth Dongle
You will need a Kinivo in order to install Bluetooth on windows. Once this is plugged the windows 8 or 10 which has the basic broadcrom Bluetooth drivers will recognize the new device and automatically install it.
If your computer is an older version that does not have the basic broadcrom Bluetooth drivers you will need to install them. This can be done by downloading the drivers from Kinivo or broadcrom that are compatible with your operating system.
This dongle works with every version of windows even the latest windows XP and windows 10.
- It uses Bluetooth 4.0 and has a small size making it convenient.
- It is also inexpensive and cost friendly.
- After adding this dongles by either purchasing or installing them, you will need to pair the device.
Insert and internal Bluetooth card
- You can also install Internal Bluetooth cards which are faster and have better range. They also do not take up nor need a USB slot.
- These cards are inbuilt and can be used as a wireless device.
- The internal card uses Bluetooth and has a dual band Wi-Fi
If you wish to upgrade the internal Bluetooth and Wi-Fi which many laptops are able to do ensure that you research which internal card is compatible you’re your laptop.
Which Bluetooth version does your windows operating system support?
Not all windows servers have an inbuilt support for Bluetooth. Below are details of windows and their Bluetooth device capability
- Windows OS – Supports all Bluetooth versions.
- Windows 10- contains version 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 with EDR, 2.1 with EDR, version 4.0 and later versions
- Windows 8/8.1- contains version 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 with EDR, 2.1 with EDR and version 4.0
- Windows 7- contains version 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 with EDR and version 2.1 with EDR
- Windows vista- contains version 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 with EDR and version 2.1 with EDR
- Windows XP- contains version 1.1, 2.0 and version 2.0 with EDR
Make Bluetooth device discoverable
Once you have installed the Bluetooth device you must ensure that it is discoverable in order to pair it with other Bluetooth devices.
To make your Bluetooth discoverable follow this simple steps.
- Go to the Start menu
- Tap on Devices and Printers
- Right-click on this to see the list of devices
- select Bluetooth settings
- Go to the Allow Bluetooth devices option
- select the discoverable option
- Tap on the Ok option
This will make your device discoverable to other devices.
How to pair the device?
- Go to the system menu
- Right click on the Bluetooth icon
- Go the context menu
- Select Add Bluetooth device
- Allow Bluetooth to search and discover the visible Bluetooth devices around you
- Select the name you recognize and type in the devices code if it has one
- Select Pair.
When you are not using Bluetooth ensure that it is disabled, turn off and not discoverable.
This will help to save battery power and also keep your device safe from pairing with unknown devices.
Errors and solutions.
Some of the errors that occur are that your headset may pair with a computer but you may be unable to hear any audio. If this happens, turn the headset on and off again. You can use the app Garageband for windows with the similar feature. To download the same, you can refer to this site.
These steps will help you to add Bluetooth to your device but it is also important to do your research and be sure to read the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere to be sure it is a good fit for you.