Nowadays, professionals use their website to market their services such as lawyers or law firms. However, in order to attract more clients and to generate more leads, you need to rank high on search engines. Therefore, the use of Search Engine Optimization or SEO is necessary. Without SEO, your potential to attract customers to your site is low because you won’t rank high on search engine results.
Here are some do-it-yourself or DIY tips you can use when you are just beginning to create an SEO-friendly website without spending a fortune:
Page titles are important in Google SEO. Your page title must accurately describe the content of your page. For instance, you can use Law Firm SEO Company as a title to help users understand that the content is about an SEO company helping law firms optimize their websites.
Here are do’s and don’ts you need to consider when making your page titles so it will rank higher on Google search:
- Don’t make titles that are irrelevant to the content of your page.
- Avoid using a title for all the pages of your site.
- Use brief, descriptive titles. Don’t make lengthy titles that are not helpful to visitors.
Avoid using jargons as other potential customers might use different terms to search for your services. Therefore, keyword research is a must since it makes you understand what phrases or words consumers are using to find your services. For instance, users use inheritance recovery attorneys instead of lawyers for claiming endowment when searching in Google.
To identify what keywords are being used in their search queries, you can use the following tools:
- Google Keyword Planner – the most popular keyword research tool because it’s free and integrated with Google AdWords
- SEMRUSH – considered the easiest keyword research tool for bloggers and showed the ranking of the keywords in a site when you enter the URL of your competitor
- Aherfs Keyword Explorer – uses clickstream data that shows the number of clicks you get from search engines
- LongTailPro – popular for its detailed keyword analysis
The two types of sitemaps necessary for search engine optimization of your website is the XML and HTML sitemap. The search engines understand the structure of your website by using the XML sitemap while the HTML sitemap is the ones the user use in finding information on your site quick and easy.
The sitemaps are essential for you to understand which pages are most important so you can prioritize them. Moreover, it is also vital to improve the performance of your website.
Here are some sitemap tools you can use:
- Slickplan – best sitemap generator for beginners since it organizes all of your links aside from their 30-day free trial.
- Write Maps – great for XML code in your links since XML is the language of search engines when crawling on your site
- Mindnode – best for designers who want their websites rank high in SEO ranking
- Screaming Frog – focus is on SEO analysis that helps tie in your best keywords and your link structure
URLs or permanent link structure are essential since it provides search engines the context of the page and its target. It also has an impact on your rankings and visibility.
Here are guidelines in creating SEO-friendly URLs:
- Don’t make long URLs; make it simple and easy for search engines and users.
- Use words to describe the page but don’t overstuff it with keywords.
- Separate words by using hyphens not underscores.
- Don’t use capital letters as it will only confuse readers as well as search engines.
Internal linking makes your user navigate your website easier. It is done by linking in pages within your site especially when articles are related to other articles on your website. It is a valuable tool for on-site SEO since you can use it to link new posts from old posts.
However, there are rules you need to follow when using internal links. Here is a guide when using such links:
- Use keyword anchor text or the full article title when linking articles related to each other.
- Make the links useful for both users and search engines.
- Avoid using generic anchor texts such as click here for internal linking.
- Link only when necessary; don’t overdo it.
Making a website for your firm is one way to market your services. However, SEO is necessary to promote your site especially nowadays that customers are likely to search on anything on the internet. Moreover, it is not expensive to maintain a traffic-driven website so long as you do it right and avail the tools necessary to keep it user-friendly.